Monday 3 May 2010

Kiss - Newcastle Metro Arena

OMG what a gig! Driving there was a little tricky when I came to turn left and I was cut up by some random chav driver, making me detour and go back a fair distance to turn around again, then once I got there, I had to fish about in my purse for the £6 parking fee, before I parked up, brushed my hair out from the pony tail I'd put in for driving, then went into the concert, where I realised I'd left my purse in the car and not put it back in my handbag. I bought myself the tour bandana with the money I'd hidden in my jeans tiny pocket, before I went back to the car to get my purse.
After wandering around a little I decided to go up the stairs to my seat which was not the most comfortable but not the worst either. There was a bit of a wait before the support act began, luckily the arena played some good songs before things started. Taking Dawn were pretty good really, as supports bands that I've seen go, they owned the reduced stage they had to play with, some good songs, none of which I can remember right now, but I think I'll venture a look at their wiki page to see what cd's they've released/are going to release. They ended their set with a hard and heavy cover of Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain', which saw their singer playing in the crowd for the final moments of said song.
During the interval I decided to pop to the ladies before venturing back downstairs to buy a voucher to get the Kiss set on a USB in MP3 format. Then I popped back upstairs to wait for Kiss to start.
They showed the band leaving their dressing room and walking to the stage on the display screens before the gig started proper and then I was grinning like a mad woman as the pyros exploded and fire shot up twenty feet high! Kiss were on absolute fire themselves as they played classic after classic, mixing in songs from Sonic Boom now and again, all of them destined to be classics themselves by the time the next tour rolls around.
Gene breathed fire, Paul strutted his sexy stuff, Tommy strutted as he shredded and Eric pounded the drums like the world was ending and that's how it was for the whole of the concert. There were guitar solos, bass solos, Gene vomited blood and flew up into the lighting rig, Eric's drum set flew too and then Paul flew out over the audience to his own little mini-stage.
Then the encore was even better than the main gig, and I didn't think that was possible! It ended with God Gave Rock And Roll To You II blending effortlessly into Rock n' Roll All Nite and by this time the whole venue was on its feet clapping and singing along, the Kiss Army was united in saluting our four generals, and then it was all over.
After making my way downstairs to collect my USB and walk back to my car. If getting there was tricky it was nothing compared to the nightmare of getting out of the Toon! I ended up driving down somewhere, before finally recognising a familiar road and going up in front of the train station and then onto the road leading home, listening to Kiss all the way.
Now I'm just chilling until I come down from such a fantastic evening and can get some sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment